Monday, February 14, 2011

My Valentine

    Happy Valentine's Day to all my family because it is a day to remember those you love. My special Valentine is Don my husband of 56 years who gives to me daily the kind of love that some only receive on special days like Valentine's Day and Mother's Day. He looks after my every comfort. He never complains or expects any notice of all he does. I watch him as he does all the chores of upkeep that this home and 20 acres requires. I look out from my warm house to see him hauling wood from way across the yard to the house and down to the furnace room, I hear him up on the roof clearing the frozen vents and cleaning the chimney's of the fireplace and wood stove, I hear the scraping sound of the roof rake as he clears the roof of the heavy snow so gutters can run when the thaw comes, then he is down stairs draining the water heater and changing filters on the furnace. Everyday he goes out to fill the bird feeders and put fat out for the wood peckers, a Pileated wood pecker eats a lot of fat. He sprinkles some cracked corn around should the turkeys come by. He carries the table scape's out to where the foxes come to eat, we have 5 beautiful foxes that come at dusk. And if he does not have enough to feed he is hoping that the Pheasant hen and rooster he saw just up the road will come to eat under his feeders. He patiently holds doors so people can pass through, he always opens doors for me, something a friend noticed and admired. He sees to it that I do not spend too many days at home by taking me out for breakfast or lunch. Is he perfect, perhaps not to others but too me as I sit under his arm on the couch each night to watch television he is perfect enough. I get my valentine from him daily in actions not cards . Love should be given out in daily doses so that it grows stronger as the years go by. He is not a joiner nor does he care for large group events but never the less he took me to the church Valentine party the youth put on, because he knew I would enjoy it, and I did, but I knew it was his gift to me. You see this things never go unnoticed I hide them as jewels in my heart.

1 comment:

  1. Please don't think for a minute that we haven't noticed you two, the love and respect that you guys show each other is very apparent.Some people can talk about love but you two live it daily.Happy Valentine's Day , Dale & Carol

    ReplyDelete